Date:      Tue, 3 Aug 1999 18:18:20 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Peter McGarvey <Networks.Manager@rncm.ac.uk>
Cc:        David Kudrav <dkudrav@eng.ua.edu>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, kudra001@bama.ua.edu
Subject:   Re: basic info on freebsd needed...

On Tuesday,  3 August 1999 at  9:03:17 +0100, Peter McGarvey wrote:

>>> I've just setup a machine at home running DOS/Win98/FreeBSD
>>> 3.2/RedHat Linux 6.0.  IMHO FreeBSD is definately the better OS,
>>> and is much easier to install.  However, when it comes to setting
>>> up X, Linux is nicely setup by default - with FreeBSD it takes a
>>> bit of effort but appears to be faster.

>> Interesting.  What makes it easier?
>>
>> I have just set up a laptop with X and all that good stuff.  I had no
>> difficulty installing FreeBSD, but I haven't been successful in
>> installing X on the Red Hat system, this despite that fact that it's
>> the same XFree86 on both platforms, and that I think I understand it
>> pretty well.  Admittedly, I haven't spent days trying to install, but
>> I don't think I should have to.
>
> What makes it easier?  Well, here is my experience with RedHat Linux 6.0....
>
> I started the installation, answered lots of questions then waited 15 mins.
> When my machine rebooted I was straight into X with gnome/enlightenment all
> nicely setup.
>
> And now my experience with FreeBSD....
>
> I started the installation, answered lots of questions then waited 15 mins.
> I didn't setup X as the last time I tried it caused the whole installation
> to crap-out.  When my machine rebooted I was straight a wonderful command
> prompt.  I then launched sysinstall again and configured my X server and my
> desktop.  Then I had to wade through the ports and once I'd worked out what
> I needed it took about three hours to get in all compiled and installed.
>
> So, even though I hate to place FreeBSD behind Linux, in this instance I'm
> affraid Linux wins.

This reminds me of the fortune:

  One-Shot Case Study, n.:
          The scientific equivalent of the four-leaf clover, from which
  it is concluded all clovers possess four leaves and are sometimes
  green.

Basically, what you have said is the exact opposite of what I have
said.  Does that make one of us right and one of us wrong?  No, it
shows that there are more factors in play than the obvious difference
between FreeBSD and Linux.  I know some of the reasons why Red Hat
didn't work on my installation.  Some of them are not complimentary to
Red Hat.  I don't know why your FreeBSD installation failed, but it's
probably not worth a post-mortem.

Greg