Date:      Thu, 9 Sep 1999 20:43:44 -0500
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 32+ signals and library versions

On Thu, 09 Sep 1999, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> I'm more tempted to revert to the major/minor versioning. Every change
> triggers a minor version bump, but only if the library is still backwards
> compatible with minor version 0 and the same major version. Otherwise a
> major version bump is required.

A change to the LPI deserves a version change. Changes which only patch/correct
the implementation do not require one.

> This only works if the dynamic linker uses a slightly different approach
> when linking:
> Linking is performed in such a way that if a program is linked against
> version x.y of libfoo, then every libfoo with version x.z and z>=y is a
> valid candidate. If there're more than one candidate .......

Rather than force this on the loader, simply use links in the file system to
point to the "current" one. That pushes the burden to the install Makefile
where it is executed only once.