Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 2002 23:01:59 +0000
From:      "D. Penev" <dpenev@mail.bg>
To:        Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can IPFW keep state after a flush?

On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 11:43:19AM -0500, Kirk Strauser wrote:
>To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
>Subject: Can IPFW keep state after a flush?
>From: Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
>Date: 24 Sep 2002 11:43:19 -0500
>
>>From what I can tell, ipfw's 'flush' command clears the ruleset *and* the
>current list of dynamic (keep-state) rules.  Is there any way to ask ipfw =
>flush only the ruleset, but to leave the dynamic rules intact?  Ideally,

=46rom ip_fw.c:
[snip]
* Each dynamic rules holds a pointer to the parent ipfw rule so
* we know what action to perform. Dynamic rules are removed when=20
* the parent rule is deleted.
[snip]

=46rom ip_fw2.c:
* Each dynamic rule holds a pointer to the parent ipfw rule so
* we know what action to perform. Dynamic rules are removed when
* the parent rule is deleted. XXX we should make them survive.

>ipfw could be made to compare the curreny dynamic rules against any new
>rules that were added, which would allow a sysadmin to implement a new
>ruleset on an already-running system without disturbing any current valid
>connections.  Is such a thing possible, or am I dreaming?
>--=20
>Kirk Strauser
>In Googlis non est, ergo non est.

--=20