Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2001 21:14:44 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1008472485.f63e8b@mired.org>
To:        "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: openbsd

f.johan.beisser <jan@caustic.org> types:
> On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, Bill Schoolcraft wrote:
> > Now, correct me here when needed.  Back when I started using (not
> > hacking) FreeBSD the version was 3.4 and it was a "slam_dunk" that
> > OpenBSD was the secure way to go.
> i still regard that as being true, even in our FreeBSD 4.4 times.

Even if you use the Extreme Security settings in sysinstall?

> > I bring this question up at the *BSD meetings I go to here in the
> > San Francisco Bay Area and seeing we are up to 4.4 (I've stayed at
> > 4.2) the consensus I've been listening to is that some minor
> > adjustments would secure your FreeBSD box as well as your OpenBSD
> > box.  Could you comment on this ?
> well, the idea is that openbsd is secured out of the box. you don't have
> to do these adjustments to it, since they should already be done.

Most of the adjustments can now be done via the install process.

> when i'm locking down my FreeBSD machine, the first thing i do is shut off
> inetd. since i don't use it, there's no reason i need it. the next 3
> things are only somewhat nessassary, but i do them anyway: recompile the
> kernel to use firewalling, up the maxusers and then, finally, install
> extra packages.

inetd can be disabled via the install process, and you don't have to
recompile the kernel to use firewalling anymore.

> i still think freebsd has a little ways to go to be "up to par" with
> openbsd's default "secure" install.

I haven't looked at OpenBSD in a long while, but it wouldn't surprise
me if the FreeBSD sysinstall Extreme Security setting was more secure
than OpenBSD's default install.

	<mike