Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2001 09:02:05 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        Cejka Rudolf <cejkar@dcse.fee.vutbr.cz>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, sos@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATA questions

It seems Cejka Rudolf wrote:

> I have several questions about ATA interface:
>
> * Are there any plans to MFC atacontrol into -stable? It would be
>   really great to allow to set various PIO/DMA modes in -stable.

Well, sortof, but it relies on infrastructure that is not in
stable yet, and that will have to be done first. It is on my
list, but since this is a spare time project I cannot say
when it will be done.

> * Is there any work or are there any plans to change write-cache and
>   queue-tagging settings from global to per-drive? We have a mix of
>   drives (Maxtor/IBM) in one box and it would be good to see write-cache
>   and queue-tagging enabled for IBM drive and both disabled for Maxtor
>   drive.

Yes, this will become part of atacontrol soon (in -current that is).

> * Is there any way to change transfer mode for ZIP drive from
>   PIO0 to PIO4 in -stable?

Not without hacking the driver, but if the code finds that only
PIO0 is valid, it probably is so ...

-Søren