Date:      Wed, 22 Feb 2012 11:20:03 -0500
From:      "illoai@gmail.com" <illoai@gmail.com>
To:        herbert langhans <w3@langhans.com.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation troubles

On 22 February 2012 09:04, herbert langhans <w3@langhans.com.pl> wrote:
> Hi Daemons,
> yesterday I tried to install FreeBSD 9 on my 'new' laptop - an IBM X31.
>
> Since this model has no CD or floppy drive I copied the memstick-file to
> such an USB-thing and tried to boot. The laptop freezes when the kernel
> scans for the UBS-ports, booting impossible.
>
> Now my question: can I take the harddisk out, install FreeBSD 9 over
> another laptop (with the X31-harddisk inside) and put the installed
> harddrive back to the X31? Is there anything else besides the rc.d-stuff
> what will/will not get installed if I use the 'wrong' computer?
>
> The old hd-cotent will be deleted, the new laptop will only be FreeBSD.

" http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:X31 " has a lot of good advice,
though it tends to be a bit more linux-centric.

I bought a cheap ATA -> USB adapter that had a lap-top style
44-pin connector (in addition to the usual 40-pin IDE) and
installed i386 on an old X40 from a running copy of amd64
(make TARGET_ARCH=i386 buildworld
make TARGET_ARCH=i386 installworld DESTDIR=/mnt/x40disk
&cet
after setting up and mounting the proper partitions)
It worked fine, outside of the flaky intel 2100 wireless chip.