Date:      Mon, 5 Nov 2007 08:58:00 -0800
From:      Ted Faber <faber@ISI.EDU>
To:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org, freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   ekiga fails to use sound card, other apps do, config help?

--GID0FwUMdk1T2AWN

I'm running a recent -CURRENT with gnome 2.20.  The specific ekiga setup
is from ports:

ekiga-2.0.9_1       VoIP phone for GNOME
esound-0.2.38       A sound library for enlightenment package
opal-2.2.8_1        VoIP abstraction library
pwlib-1.10.3_4,1    A cross platform C++ library, used by OpenH323

I've compiled pwlib with -DWITH_ESOUND (from the ports dir).  Ekiga
gives me the choice of either using Esound or OSS, both of which fail
differently.  OSS just makes a shrill beep when I run the audio test
from the setup druid; Esound informs me that Ekiga cannot read data from
Esound, though it opened correctly.

I'm able to record sounds through the mic from the gnome sound recorder
app.  I'm able to use the linux skype port from the ports tree
completely.  /usr/local/bin/esdrec (from the esound port) is able to
record from esd and sounds play normally.

I've tried 3 different machines with 3 different soundcards.

Configs, etc, available on request.

Any ideas what's wrong?  Is ekiga working for anyone on -CURRENT?

--=20
Ted Faber
http://www.isi.edu/~faber           PGP: http://www.isi.edu/~faber/pubkeys.=
asc