Date:      Wed, 2 Jun 1999 23:54:40 -0500
From:      "David Shafer" <fromrochny@email.msn.com>
To:        <freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   My FreeBSD Experience

Well, I gave it "the old college try."  Didn't work.  Followed all the
instructions; downloaded the files in the /bin directory and copied them to
floppies (shouldn't think I'd have to buy a CD from Walnut Grove or anyone
else; FreeBSD is free, right?  Or is it?).  After partitioning my hard-drive
and so on I got a cryptic error as soon as I tried to load the OS from the
floppies.  Message said something like "choose NO from the next panel."
There was no next panel and from that point on the option to install from
floppies (or anything else, for that matter) was never re-presented.  After
a few more attempts I quit.  Huge waste of time.

When FreeBSD is "ready for prime time" I'll try it again.  In the meantime,
I'll stick with Windows, warts and all.  To paraphrase Charles Dickens, Mr.
Bill Gates may be "a grasping, covetous old sinner" but his OS does install.

David Shafer
4627 Kellykris Drive
St. Charles, MO  63304
United States
fromrochny@email.msn.com
314-936-0206

P.S.  I'm a professional programmer and I've worked on HP-UX and Solaris
systems so I really do have an inkling of what I'm doing.  IMHP, FreeBSD
just doesn't cut it right now.  Publish this if you dare.