Date:      Sat, 7 Jun 1997 12:15:20 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      mika ruohotie <bsdhack@shadows.aeon.net>
To:        craig@gnofn.org (Craig Johnston)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gcc -m486, gcc -O2

> Is there any reason -O2 would not be a good idea for kernel/make
> world in make.conf?  I notice that the suggested use is -O2 for
> everything else and -O for the kernel.

i've gotten -O2 on both from like the dawn of the days... meaning
that ever since i installed this machine as 2.0-CURRENT back in 94,
i put that '-O2 -m486 -pipe' into the COPTFLAGS line in /etc/make.conf

and i doubt i've gotten myself bitten in the leg coz of it, and i do
upgrade my machine into latest -CURRENT like weekly...

ofcourse, occasionally, like now, my kernel acts bit weird in certain
conditions, but i really doubt it's that -O2 causing those...

i remember someone mentioning some time ago that -O3 caused weirdoes, but
then again, other people said it's ok...

(and if anyone has other flags to suggest for world/kernel, i'm always
ready to test, even though this is my home "production" server)

> Craig

mickey