Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2006 13:59:55 +0200
From:      Erik Norgaard <norgaard@locolomo.org>
To:        Marwan Sultan <dead_line@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: fbsd 6 didnot work on laptop

Marwan Sultan wrote:

> Well, I did what im doing since 7 years on desktops! just inserted the
> cd, startedup the laptop
> and asked for installation, then the normal procedures, you know?
> partitioning..etc..
> when the installation done, i removed the cd and restarted, but the
> laptop freeze..on a black screen, blank, nothing..
>
> Do i have to do any speciall thing during installation,
> will you help please?
> I dunt know what loader u ment, just the default one?

The boot loader is the piece of code that knows where you're OS is. If
you didn't install it then your system likely just halts because
whatever there is doesn't know how to boot.

Some options:

You can boot off the install cd and instead of installing specify root
device etc. This should enable you to boot up your newly installed
system. If that succeeds you can try to reinstall the boot loader - see
the handbook and bsdlabel man-page.

You can try to get something up running and install a generic boot
loader like grub. This should also be possible if you succeed to boot as
described above but can't get the boot loader working.

Cheers, Erik

--
Ph: +34.666334818                      web: http://www.locolomo.org
X.509 Certificate: http://www.locolomo.org/crt/8D03551FFCE04F0C.crt