Date:      Sun, 29 May 2016 22:36:26 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marco Beishuizen <mbeis@xs4all.nl>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: x11/xconsole not showing any output

On Sun, 29 May 2016, the wise Polytropon wrote:

> It's a very convenient way to check console messages, other than
> repeating "dmesg" in an X terminal and checking what's new. :-)

Yeah I know, but it was started by default and I just wanted to try it
out.

> Are the console permissions set properly? Check if xdm-config does have
> the following (or applying) lines:
>
> 	DisplayManager._0.setup:        /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0
> 	DisplayManager._0.startup:      /etc/X11/xdm/GiveConsole
> 	DisplayManager._0.reset:        /etc/X11/xdm/TakeConsole
>
> In your case, the paths will probably be different, but check the
> content of the GiveConsole and TakeConsole scripts: They make sure
> your user will actually be able to read from the console (as it's
> initially owned by root, and only has rw-/---/--- permissions).

The GiveConsole script says:
chown $USER /dev/console

And the TakeConsole script says:
chmod 622 /dev/console
chown root /dev/console

Should the owner be the user here?

> When you are then logged in, check "ls -l /dev/console", and you
> should see something similar to this:
>
> 	% ll /dev/console
> 	crw-------  1 poly  wheel    0,   5 2016-05-29 18:38:20 /dev/console
>
> If this is _not_ the case, xconsole doesn't work as expected.

The permissions of /dev/console look ok:
crw-------  1 marco  wheel  0x9 May 29 21:24 /dev/console

Regards,
Marco
--
My boy is mean kid.  I came home the other day and saw him taping worms
to the sidewalk, he sits there and watches the birds get hernias.  Well,

I told my kids, "Someday, you'll have kids of your own."  One of them
said, "So will you."
 		-- Rodney Dangerfield