Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 1996 10:18:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Danny J. Mitzel" <mitzel@ipsilon.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, mitzel@ipsilon.com
Subject:   Re: does anyone get ``good'' audio quality with VAT and SoundBlaster?

On Wed, 6 Mar 1996, Danny J. Mitzel wrote:

> I spent a bit of time setting up a local FreeBSD machine this week to
> try and tune into the IETF broadcasts, but have been very disappointed
> with the audio quality.  I expected a lot of ``popping'' which I've read
> others complaining about with VAT and SoundBlaster, but there were many
> long periods of time where audio was too garbled to distinguish.

That is the SB.  I have an SB AWE32 and it does the same thing.
Apparently the SB can't hold up a constant sample rate, and it fluctuates
too wildly for vat to keep up.  If it gets too nasty, try opening the vat
menu or doing something to stop the audio stream briefly; that seems to
reset it and it should sound OK for a bit.

What's the status on the new SB driver?

And does anyone think that a GUS could coexist with my AWE32?  I like my
AWE so much I don't want to give it up, but I want vat to sound halfway
decent.