Date:      Wed, 10 May 2006 09:57:55 -0300
From:      "Ricardo Nabinger Sanchez" <rnsanchez@gmail.com>
To:        "Joe Marcus Clarke" <marcus@freebsd.org>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org, m m <needacoder@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Patch for adding /media to FreeBSD

On 5/10/06, Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@freebsd.org> wrote:
> It's not backwards compatible if system administrators are already using
> it as a mount point itself.  In that case we're trying to create mount
> points within a mounted file system.  Plus, one of the big things
> adding /media is will help is HAL support on FreeBSD.  If we picked
> another name, this would mean additional FreeBSD-specific hacks on ports
> that expect removable media mounts to exist under /media.

I don't have strong reasons to object against /media, I just think
that this covers applications' errors assuming /media exists and
contains removable media mount points.  Or, more specifically, HAL's
assumption of /media, instead of accepting some configuration
parameter telling where it should look for removable-media mount
points.

Personally I'd mount removable media under /mnt (as I always did) and
change HAL to accept configuration like this, specifying where it
should look for instead of assuming /media.  Perhaps this affects less
users.

--
Ricardo Nabinger Sanchez
GNU/Linux #140696 [http://counter.li.org]