Date:      Mon, 11 Aug 1997 23:26:39 -0700
From:      Chris Browning <brownie@earthling.net>
To:        smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: General smp & bios questions

> >    My system has to I/O APIC's in it. The 2nd one is disabled
> > by default in the bios.

yeah, disabling the second I/O APIC is a pretty normal default. Some
brain-dead OSes can't handle more than one.

> >    I also have an entry for 'PIC interrupt Routing', which is
> > set to 'default'. The other choice is 'Through IO APIC'.

Using the "Through IO APIC" allows the I/O APIC to deliever
interrupts through the APIC bus.  This is the prefered way of
doing things.  Otherwise, interrupts are "hardwired" to a
particular processor.  It doesn't matter too much since when
the system is put into full SMP mode, you will leave whichever
one you choose.  Through the I/O APIC is closer to SMP :-).

> >    Does any of this ring any bells?

Yes.  I work with our BIOS group to help them use these features.

> I've left the 2nd APIC disabled
> > since I did not beleive that your code supported more than one
> > of them.

Now, this would be a shame.  This is a major scalibility limiter.
If possible, you should use the 2nd I/O APIC.  Otherwise, you are
losing several interrupts and are crowding the ISA compatibility
interrupts unecessarily.

> leave the second APIC disabled, and use "Through IO APIC"

Any particular reason why?  All of those extra interupts going to
waste?

I agree with the "Through IO APIC".

Chris
Not speaking for nobody.