Date:      Fri, 8 Dec 1995 15:03:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Kirchner <dpk@eskimo.com>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Western Digital boot failures

On Fri, 8 Dec 1995, Doug White wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Dec 1995, David Kirchner wrote:

> > 	My drive is an 850MB EIDE drive by Western Digital and I am using
> > the 'other OS compatibility' option. It has two small unused partitions
> > around it in the partitioning table editor.
>
> You imply this is the second disk on the first IDE controller.  Is this
> true?  What is the configuration of your disks?

	I'm sorry, it is the first and only disk. I used that 'other OS
compatibility' option in fdisk because it suggested I did that when I
typed 'A' to automatically use the whole disk.

	I also forgot to mention, I have a Promise EIDE 2300+ controller
and I noticed while browsing through the mail archives that this card was
mentioned several times, unfortunately, not one message (that I found)
ever said what to do to get it to work. One person mentioned disabling
the on-board BIOS, but I cannot find how to do that in my manual. Also,
if it matters, I'm running an AMD 486DX4-120 (who knows, it might be
causing the problems...) with Award BIOS.

> > 	When I use the booteasy option, I keep hitting F1 over and over,
> > nothing ever happens other than repeating the "BSD  F?" banner.
>
> As a note, booteasy will not start FreeBSD off the second disk without
> some reprogramming.  You can use OS-BS or any other boot manager if you
> need to boot off the second disk.  (I use OS/2's Boot Manager and it
> works great.)

	I love the name of that, OS-BS, heh, when did Microsoft start
making a boot manager? ;)

	Maybe I'll start using that when I get two drives, I just want
this one working.

-- David Kirchner
-- dpk@eskimo.com -- http://www.eskimo.com/~dpk/ --