Date:      Wed, 04 Mar 1998 16:14:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Cc:        grog@lemis.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, blkirk@float.eli.net, jdn@acp.qiv.com, tlambert@primenet.com, sbabkin@dcn.att.com, karl@mcs.net
Subject:   Re: SCSI Bus redundancy...

> Or a FibreChannel array. Will be playing with that for the rest of the
> week.  I'm pretty curious to see how that behaves.

Ah, the first usable and functional disk channel to hit small computers.
The demos I saw several years ago showed over 1,700 TPS to a single drive.
And it is redundant, EMI/RFI clean, wonderful, and expensive.

> I don't know if DPT will be part of our product offering. I play with
> what they throw at me ;-) The FC array is cute so I don't complain.

I do NOT work for DPT.  I get generous help when I need it.  But they have
an FCAL HBA someplace.  There was another company in Colorado (?) which had
a controller.  They promised me a card to write the FreeBSD driver, but I
never hear from them anymore.

>> the ball on tracking these down but will pick it up soon.  SMP is twice
>> as slow as UP in these tests.
>
> Somebody/something locking resources? But that is definetely worth
> investigating for SMP users.

Yup.  I never invoked any interest in this phenomenon, other than ``if you
find why, give me the patch''.

Simon