Date:      Mon, 12 Oct 2009 16:03:55 +0000 (UTC)
From:      John Case <case@sdf.lonestar.org>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   SSL/AES acceleration in FreeBSD ?

This presentation document from meetBSD 2008:

http://www.paeps.cx/pubs/crypto_acceleration/slides.pdf

lists these supported devices:

glxsb(4)  AMD Geode
hifn(4)  Hifn
padlock(4)  VIA Padlock
safe(4)  SafeNet
ubsec(4)  Broadcom/Bluesteel

However, I can only find "safe" as a isted device in generic kernel
configuration files.  The other devices are not anywhere in kernel config
files.

I am able to find hifn.ko and /sys/modules/padlock and ubsec.ko in the
source tree, however.

glxsb, however, is nowhere to be found.

My goal is to accelerate the Tor onion router using hardware on FreeBSD.
Since safe(4) is a standard kernel config option, that seemed a likely
starting place, however a cursory search shows that this is not really a
working device and certainly not a trouble-free item to implement.

Are any implementations of hardware crypto acceleration both stable and
trouble-free in FreeBSD ?

I appreciate all comments and suggestions.