Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 1999 09:32:27 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Adam Nealis <adamn@csl.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Q: Known "hot swap" RAID configurations for 'BSD.

On Tuesday, 24 August 1999 at 18:08:08 +0100, Adam Nealis wrote:

> A group in my company wish to have a web server installed. It's
> going to be used as a web server + e-commerce using our own
> homegrown solution that uses MySQL + apache + perl/CGI to serve the
> pages, manage the database and take people's money. It must satisfy
> at least the following requirements:
>
>  o good performance
>  o maybe >1 CPU
>  o 256 - 512MB RAM
>  o reliable hardware
>  o reliable software
>  o RAID - preferably "hot-swappable".
>
> It's connected to the world at 2MB/s shared. Because it's not
> carrying much data at the moment I don't need a fantastically large
> RAID disk array.
>
> Of course I'd love to use FreeBSD 3.2-STABLE, so can anyone
> recommend a good set-up? Perhaps someone has a similar configuration
> that works for them and they could recommend it. And of course they
> want it yesterday.
>
> Due to my HP-UX 10 past I fell in love with their LVM stuff, so I'd
> like to use vinum. Is vinum stable enough yet? (last time I checked
> it was considered beta, though I know some people have had few/no
> problems)

It's been a long time since Vinum was considered beta (or even Release
Candidate :-).  The driver part is pretty stable, but the
configuration management is still a little suspect.  This basically
means that you can shoot yourself in the foot with it if you try.
Early versions of VERITAS had the same problem.  This shouldn't affect
the reliability of the product.

> Can I use it with any hot-swap drive/controller sombo' reliably?

There shouldn't be any problem with that.  I need to add some
functionality for replacing drives: at the moment you need to
re-disklabel the replacement drive and save configuration manually.

Greg