Date:      Sun, 28 Oct 2001 14:06:00 -0000
From:      "cameron grant" <gandalf@vilnya.demon.co.uk>
To:        <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>, <clefevre@citeweb.net>, <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        <jerry@thehutt.org>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: adding athlon xp to bsd.cpu.mk

> What about new Durons based on the Palomino core? The problem is
> that as far as I know they have nothing in their name (like XP in
> Athlon's case) that distinguishes them from older Durons based on
> the Thunderbird core, while they do support SSE in addition to
> 3DNow and MMX. Perhaps it would be better to introduce new variable
> CPUCORE, so the user could use something like the following:

from what i can see, identcpu.c fetches the cpu name using a cpuid
instruction.

my system with dual 1.1ghz durons identifies as:

CPU: AMD Duron(tm) MP Processor (1110.94-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x670  Stepping = 0

Features=0x383fbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,
CMOV,PAT,PSE36,MMX,FXSR,SSE>
  AMD Features=0xc0440000<<b18>,AMIE,DSP,3DNow!>

the entire "AMD Duron(tm) MP Processor" string appears to originate from the
cpu, so i would suggest that the processor is named duron mp.  the ident
string does not change when booting a non-smp kernel, so unless the cpu is
detecting the chipset as dual cpu or the bios is reprogramming the cpu, that
is actually what amd have named the 1.0+ghz durons.

    -cg