Date:      Sun, 13 Oct 2002 13:05:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Trish Lynch <trish@bsdunix.net>
To:        Adrian Wontroba <aw1@stade.co.uk>
Cc:        chris scott <c.scott@uk.tiscali.com>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Ifconfig config of gif tunnels

On Sun, 13 Oct 2002, Adrian Wontroba wrote:

> Did you run mergemaster or otherwise get /etc/rc.network up to date before rebooting?

I';ve done something semi-simple to manage things that possibly might get
broken by mergemaster.

I have a script that backs up critical files (/etc/hosts,
/etc/master.passwd, /etc/group, etc), then runs mergemaster where it
answers "i" to all things, then copies the essential files back.

All other rc scripts are run out of rc.local in a programmatic fashion,
that gives the options of turning them on and off in rc.conf...

those control things like... gif tunnels, freenet6 configuration, ipsec,
ipfw, ip6fw, etc.

Those are never overwritten, ever.

This means I don;t have to rely on system scripts being the same for
everything to come back up correctly through upgrades... :)

-Trish

--
Trish Lynch					   trish@bsdunix.net
Ecartis Core Team 			      trish@listmistress.org