Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 1995 19:53:35 -0600
From:      rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: config, other kernel build tools

At 5:15 PM 11/9/95, Terry Lambert wrote:
>> >I *don't* want to toast my existing /usr/sbin/config; I like it, it
>> >is my friend, it serves me well.
>>
>> Than change DESTDIR in your alternate source tree before you do the
>>install. :)
>
>and chroot to use it, etc., setc..  8-(.

>> >What I'd really like is an incremental step in Richard's planned
>> >mega-makefile patch direction.  Putting the tools that are only good
>> >for building kernels in with the kernel code that is to be built is
>> >a good first step.

>> >It's not like the boot code, etc. isn't already in the kernel tree
>> >and isn't really kernel code proper.

Hold on. I don't advocate putting a tool like config in either the kernel
OR /usr/?bin.

The ONLY things that belong in /usr/bin are commands related to the present OS.
Tools that are for another version of the OS belong elsewhere.
And they don't belong in the kernel either. They are NOT a part of the
kernel, they are a TOOL. So put them in the tools directory associated with
the build in progress.

To me that means that they belong in usr/?bin. (I'm not sure what the
distinction between bin and sbin should really be. These are uncommon
commands, but still commands on the same level as troff. I tend to say
usr/bin.)

Notice that I did NOT say /usr/bin.  Each build should have its own set of
tools.
If they are the same as the version on the current system, then a link will
suffice.
Otherwise the proper compilation of the tool for the purpose of the
particular build must be used.

----
Richard Wackerbarth
rkw@dataplex.net