Date:      Tue, 11 May 1999 17:26:07 +0200
From:      Eric Lemiere <elemiere@matra-ms2i.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD 3.1 installation troubleshooting

Il s'agit d'un message multivolet au format MIME.
--------------13762E224711A420EFB9C46C

Hi everybody!
I've been facing a problem while installing FreeBSD 3.1
Would anybody share one possible explanation/solution with me? Thanks!

Pb: installation of FreeBSD 3.1

After booting from CD and beginning the installation which seems
correctly done (works well
under version 2.2.8 with the same parameters), we choose the "DOS"
media, while having
taken care to recopy the CD complete tree structure to directory
C:\FREEBSD of the DOS
partition. The system asks to proceed, what we do.

One obtains then immediately, at the begining of the package extraction
step, the error:
"couldn't extract the following distributions. maybe because they were
not available on the media you've
selected:
bin, doc, ..."
and it stops the installation process: no package was installed.

This happens with FreeBSD 3.1.
This does not happens with FreeBSD 2.2.8, configured under the same
conditions.

How to explain that?

In addition, we had, initially tested the installation directly from CD,
but even if the
boot starts well (it detects the controller of the Atapi-IDE CD-Rom :
wdc1),
it does not detect the drive itself (wd1), and consequently the choice
of the Media
"CD-Rom" was impossible; that has thus forced us to install from support
DOS.

P.S.: the CD-ROM drive is a Compaq-CRD-8322B Atapi on the second IDE
controler

Eric Lemiere

Division Telecom & Securite                                    Tel   :
01 34 63 74 53
MATRA SYSTEMES & INFORMATION            Fax   : 01 34 63 74 74
6, rue Dewoitine
e-mail: elemiere@matra-ms2i.fr
78142 VELIZY-VILLACOUBLAY FRANCE       http://www.matra-msi.com

--------------13762E224711A420EFB9C46C

begin:          vcard
fn:             Eric LEMIERE
n:              LEMIERE;Eric
org:            MATRA SYSTEMES & INFORMATION
adr:            6, rue Dewoitine;;;VELIZY-VILLACOUBLAY;;78142;FRANCE
email;internet: elemiere@matra-ms2i.fr
tel;work:       (33) 01 34 63 74 53
tel;fax:        (33) 01 34 63 74 74
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0