Date:      Sun, 5 Jul 2020 14:36:32 +0000
From:      Brandon helsley <brandon.helsley@hotmail.com>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Porting Practice

In general:
 1. extract the original sources elsewhere
 2. hack it to compile
 3. compare the hacks against the original sources again to generate diffs.
 4. put the diffs into the files/ directory of the port
 5. Tweak the Makefile for all targets (fetch, extract, build, stage, etc)

Im not sure what "original sources" means or "hack it to compile". Really w=
ould you please go into more detail about the first three steps and explain=
 the targets in step five? I understood your first message well and can get=
 the nvidia-settings.patch placed in /tmp/ but before that step when I am s=
upposed to... get the port working in my working directory I get stuck.