Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 2004 11:20:21 -0600
From:      Elvedin <mnsan11@earthlink.net>
To:        mario@schmut.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.9 freezes

mario wrote:

>this thing has heat written all over it
>
>Chris said:
>

>>Just a hunch - monitor your CPU temp. I had something similar. I took my
>>case  off, ensured if have proper venting - and the freeze ups stopped.
>>

>yes, do
>
>taking the cover off will not necessarily help this.
>is the cpu heat sink properly seated?
>if needed does it have heat sink compound?
>
>also tail you log files
>xtail /var/log/* or something like that
>maybe some clues there.
>
>if all fails start pulling hardware out
>remove everything not really needed 512mb
>video keyboard. see if that helps
>if it does start adding stufff til it breaks
>
>also start the box crank the cpu, see it that speeds it up
>
>that's all i can think off for now

Yes, try to see if it's a heat issue. Get something like healthd to
monitor temp and the distributed.net client or Prime95, whatever can get
that processor hot and see if it freezes up again..

Also, if you have something like a Knoppix boot CD available, try it and
run the same things you do and see if the same happens.

Considering it's a new processor, the BIOS should be set to either
reboot or just boost the fans if the processor begins to overheat and I
think it might even lower the power going to it to lower the temp. Try
to get it to freeze again and reboot right away and check the temps in
the BIOS.

--
Elvedin T.

sysadmin.ods.org <http://sysadmin.ods.org>;