Date:      Mon, 10 Sep 2001 15:21:41 -0700
From:      Orion Hodson <hodson@aciri.org>
To:        Geoff Rehmet <geoff@rehmet.alt.za>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: " Problem with CMedia 8738 "

In message <20010910195852.A320@redpoint.rehmet.alt.za>,Geoff Rehmet writes:
> I'm trying to get my sound card with a Cmedia 8738 chipset
> working udner 4.3-STABLE, but have run into the problem,
> that for any program that talks to /dev/dsp, only the SPDIF
> port is active, while the speakers work when using /dev/audio
> (no SPDIF then).
>
> Dmesg output includes the following:
> pcm0: <CMedia CMI8738> port 0xd800-0xd8ff irq 11 at device 12.0 on pci0
>
> And cat /dev/sndstat gives:
> redpoint:~% cat /dev/sndstat
> FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Jul 25 2001 21:52:10
> Installed devices:
> pcm0: <CMedia CMI8738> at io 0xd800 irq 11 (1p/1r channels duplex)
>
> I hope I am not missing anything really obvious.
>
> Any help on this one would be appreciated.
>
> Ciao,
> Geoff.

Geoff,

This sounds like a bug if you are running exactly the same test on both device
entries.  The use of SPDIF should be triggered by the sample rate selected -
it can only work at 44.1kHz and 48kHz there is no hook to check which device
is in use.  We really need a sysctl to select whether SPDIF comes on at
44.1/48kHz.

Kind Regards
- Orion