Date:      Sun, 4 May 2014 13:35:59 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Peter Ulrich Kruppa <ulrich@pukruppa.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lpr / ghostscript problem: blank page at end of each print job

On Sun, 4 May 2014, Peter Ulrich Kruppa wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am playing around with a host based Windows printer (Brother
> HL-2135W), which seems to understand some PCL .
>
> Converting .ps or .pdf files with ghostscript and printing the result
> via lpr works so far.

What is the full gs command?
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/printing-lpd.html#printing-lpd-filters-ps2pcl

> Problem is, there always will be a blank page printed out at the end of
> a print job.
> I tried to suppress this with lpr -h option, but that wouldn't help.
>
> Does anyone have any good idea?

Does the extra page print if the file is dumped directly to the printer?
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/printing-direct.html

Do plain text files print correctly?  Is there an input filter in the
printcap entry for the printer, and if so, what does the filter do?