Date:      Mon, 22 Jun 1998 12:09:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Henry M. Pierce" <hmpierce@santorini.odyssey.cs.cmu.edu>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   uids

Hello.  I am creating FreeBSD packages for the Coda File system.
There is a blurb in the FreeBSD manual concerning uid's:

"If your port requires a certain user ID to be on the installed system,
let
the pkg/INSTALL script call pw to create it
automatically. Look at japanese/Wnn or net/cvsup-mirror for examples. It
is customary to use UIDs in the upper 2-digit
range (i.e., from around 50 to 99) for this purpose."

We currently use uid "500" for account "admin" needed by coda.
While this can be changed to be a bit more arbitrary in the
future, it is inconvenient for Coda development at this time
to do so because of cross-platform issues.  Are there
any hidden technical problems this might cause that anyone
is aware off?

thanks!
henry
Henry M. Pierce