Date:      Sun, 24 Feb 2013 17:40:28 -0500
From:      Kurt Lidl <lidl@pix.net>
To:        Chris Ross <cross+freebsd@distal.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org" <freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: memstick installation for sparc64?

On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 03:55:56PM -0500, Chris Ross wrote:
>   I have a Sun Netra X1 I'd like to install FreeBSD onto.  I intend
> two drives in it, and while I _could_ install one disc, load from
> an IDE CD-R, then install the other and
> reconfigure, I was looking into the idea of either:
>
>   a) boot/install from a USB optical drive, or
>   b) boot/install from a USB flash drive.

Only "some" ultrasparcs have the ability to boot from USB.  I've
attempted to get the prom to probe/boot from usb thumb drive on my
sunfire v240, but haven't gotten success there.  (I've successfully
booted other i386/amd64 machines from this particular thumb drive,
so I know that modern-ish BIOS on those machines find this drive
"OK" with regards to booting.)

I haven't attempted it on my sunfire v120 yet.  I don't have a
USB cdrom/dvd to try it with.

There's this, that says OBP 4.27 (or newer) is required:

	http://www.purplecow.org/index.php/SPARC_USB_Boot

My SunFire V240 has:
	OpenBoot 4.16.2
My V120 has:
	OpenBoot 4.0

So, I doubt it will work on any of the machines I have.
I don't know what you have in your X1, but it's an easy first thing
to check.

-Kurt