Date:      Fri, 5 Jan 1996 01:43:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
To:        Alexei Nikolaevich Romanov <alexei@loach.org>
Cc:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: two isp's, one net

On Thu, 4 Jan 1996, Alexei Nikolaevich Romanov wrote:

> I am not believing this can be accomplished without peering with providers
> at Network Access Points like MAE East, or CIX;  the reason being is the
> fact that backbone routing would need to be coordinated for your network
> through the Routing Arbitration Database, and for the same internet addresses
> to be routed through providers would not necessarily be possible solution due
> to the way in which addressing information is 'pointed' at one provider or the
> other.  If you'd like more intelligent elaboration, you are welcome to contact
> me;  I work for one of the nationwide providers ,and we have tackled this
> problem for customers before with little success.

	Wait...I thought this was just a matter of getting assigned
an AS #, and making use of BGP routing (or OSPF, which I believe is
the newer of the two).  Using something like Gated on the "gateway"
box, routing through either or both providers should be (I know...
the books always make it sound *sooo* easy) trivial...

Marc G. Fournier | POP Mail  Telnet Acct  DNS Hosting
System           |  WWW Services   Database Services  | Knowledge,
  Administrator  |                                    | Information and
 scrappy@ki.net  |      WWW: http://www.ki.net        | Communications, Inc