Date:      19 Jul 1999 16:46:16 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        obituary <c9710216@atlas.newcastle.edu.au>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with cvsup

obituary <c9710216@atlas.newcastle.edu.au> writes:
> Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> > Why are you using kernel pppd instead of userland ppp?
> Why not?  Is there some issue regarding kernel pppd that I'm not aware
> of?  I used kernel pppd simply because I assumed the kernel
> implementation would be more efficient, and I'd had prior experience
> using pppd (under Linux).

Yes, in some cases you may save up to 1% CPU power using kernel PPP.
On the other hand, userland PPP is actively maintained, whereas
nobody's touched kernel PPP for over a year except to keep it in sync
with architectural changes in the kernel.

Userland PPP has builtin NAT based on libalias (which does all kinds
of magic to make active FTP and the like work across NAT). It also has
a much nicer configuration syntax (though that may be a matter of
personal preference).

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no