Date:      Fri, 14 Apr 2000 10:48:03 -0400
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
To:        Robert Withrow <bwithrow@BayNetworks.COM>
Cc:        Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, markm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: exmh-2.1.1 port doesn't work with nmh

On Fri, Apr 14, 2000 at 09:44:49AM -0400, Robert Withrow wrote:
> If you mean redundant because they are also PRs, it is because,
> in the past, there has occationally been a significant delay
> between the submission of the pr and the fixing of the port.
> I was hoping to spare a port user the effort of re-fixing the same
> problem (by having a solution appear *both* in the mailing list
> archives and the pr database) in the interim.  Since I mention

Well, this must mean you're not on the ports list, because all PRs that are
ports problems get sent to -ports. So if your PR states the name of a port
and someone is interested in the port (and is on the list), they will
probably look at your PR and fix it in their own copy, if they care enough.

I suspected this was why you were sending them to both lists. :)

No harm, I know you meant good. :)

> pr number in the mail message there should be no confusion.  [I
> just went and checked the open ports pr's and while the list is quite
> small (way to go guys!), still about 1/2 of them are more than

Yes.. I and a few other people have been cleaning up the PR database for
some time now, and I think we've eliminated a number of very old (say two
or three years) PRs. This will continue to shrink in the near future.

By the end of May, the ports' list should be down to less than 100. I have
a few bookmarked `feedback' that I'm going to close very soon. :>

> 30 days old.  Also, in the case of this specific patch, I
> sent it to the port maintainer about 6 weeks ago, and the
> fix never got integrated, leading me to belive that something
> got lost.  So I opted for this belt-and-suspenders approach.]
>
> But, if a lot of people on the list don't like this, I won't
> do it.

No, I'm sure some people like it, it's just that if you submit a PR, it
already gets fwd'd to the ports list.

Anyway, since you mention that the maintainers never replied to your
patches in reasonable time, I will commit them to the tree now.

Thanks for your help.

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>