Date:      Sat, 13 Jan 2001 05:52:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
To:        Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
Cc:        Erich Zigler <erichz@superhero.org>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Interesting plight

> > A couple days ago I was mentioning about my ps and top problems. Well at the
> > advice of a FreeBSD user I went and installed the bin distribution for
> > 4.2-RELEASE rebooted with the 4.2-RELEASE kernel and everything was golden.
> > I could ps and top and kill I was one happy guy.
> >
> > Well I cvsup'ed my source tree, and went through the process as is outlined
> > in /usr/src/UPDATING of updating my source tree to 4.2-STABLE. I finish this
> > procedure, and ps and top fail to work.
>
> This just doesnt make ANY sense...
> If you really did follow the instructions everything SHOULD work fine,
> I have cvsup'd many times and so long as you do it by the UPDATING file
> I have never had any problems (besides new/changed driver issues)...

I have a system that went from 3.0, through a bunch of upgrades to 3.5, to
4.0, now up to 4.2.  The 4.1.1 that was currently running seemed to work
OK, but if I did a build/install world/kernel for 4.2, ps, top, and a few
relatives died with some nlist error.

I finally fixed it with "rm -fR /usr/src", re-CVSup, and
rebuild...  SOMETHING wasn't getting updated as it should...

mike