Date:      Sat, 27 Nov 2004 01:34:38 +0100
From:      Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@withagen.nl>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   RAID1 with Promise Fastrack TX2000

Hi,

Just got an Intelserver with a Promise Fastrack TX2000 controller.
So I installed 5.3-STABLE on it, and pulled a disk.

Got a nice report that I disk had gone, but the box kept on running.
Which is nice.
So I reinserted the drive, and got atacontrol to reinit the channel, and
voila back was the drive.

But all my attempts to get the RAID 1 to rebuild through atacontrol
failed. Used atacontrol rebuild 0

atacontrol was giving me "RAID1 disk ad4 ad6 mode: DEGRADED" (from
memory) It booted fine with just one disk, only was required to indicate
that I really wanted to boot of the harddisk in the BIOS.
Not very nice if the box is in a far off colo....
(Is the RAID-bios output also available on the serial console??)

So now I started to rebuild it through the bios, but the bios does not
let the system continue to boot....
Currently it's only 120G but what if we're talking 300G. That'll take
forever.

How can I get the controller to rebuild the RAID whilest running FreeBSD?

Thanx,
--WjW