Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2001 00:12:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Joe Clarke <marcus@miami.edu>
Cc:        Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bad cookie

:
:I get this message from time to time on my FreeBSD NFS client.  I have a
:very similar setup to yours.  I found that this message is ignorable,
:though not something to cheer about.  Someone pointed out that it could be
:a bad NIC or bad network device.  I'm running with a fxp on the client and
:a dc on the server.  My switches are Linksys el cheapos.
:
:I also don't use quite so many options in my mount.  I find I get away
:with the default NFSv3 UDP just fine.  I get decent performance on my
:ports builds.
:
:Joe Clarke

    NFS clients use directory cookies to keep track of directory scans.
    If a directory changes out from under a client, then when it attempts
    to use a previously obtained cookie to continue a scan the NFS server
    may reply with a 'bad cookie' response.  The error is not fatal, it
    simply causes the client to rescan the directory from the beginning
    to locate the pickup point.

    A bad cookie can occur if several hosts modify (create, delete, rename
    files) in the same directory while (or near the time of) an NFS client
    doing a directory scan, or if the client-side cookie caches
    times out in the middle of a directory scan (which can happen under
    heavy loads).

						-Matt