Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 2003 11:26:15 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Kenzo <kenzo_chin@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dump question

Kenzo wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone could tell me what would get backed up when I
> issue this command.
> dump -0u -f /NT/FreeBSD/012103 /
>
> basically I want to do a full backup of everything in the root dir to
> /NT/FreeBSD/012103 which is a mounted drive.
>
> so does this backup everyting on the comp?
> like when I do cd / and ls
> I see bin, boot, dev, etc, home , etc.....
> does all this get backed up?

Probably not, but it depends on your partition scheme.
dump backs up filesytems, it does not traverse mount points.
So if you have your partitions split up in the default manner that
sysinstall uses, you probably are only backing up /, /root, /etc, and
maybe a few others.  /usr, /var, /tmp, and /home are usually on
different partitions, so you'll need additional commands to back
those up.  Of course, if you made your whole drive one big partition,
then the dump command above _will_ back up the whole hard drive.
Or you could use tar, which does cross mountpoints.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies