Date:      Thu, 10 Sep 2015 23:46:52 -0500
From:      Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
To:        reg@dwf.com
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to find what package (or port) a routine is in.

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 10:08 PM, <reg@dwf.com> wrote:

> I think the subject line says it all.
> I'm looking for 'formail' which google FreeBSD formail shows me
> exists in FreeBSD, but I have no idea how to find the package/
> port containing it.
>
> Someone point me in the right direction.

Well the canonical methods might include things like whereis(1), locate(1),
and "make search" from ports(7) which is really quite sufficient for nearly
any task I've encounted..  However in your particular case they wouldn't
have helped.  So you'd have resort to some method that grepped through all
ports Makefile's and pkg-plist's.

I've heard rumors that at some point we'll be able to remotely query pkg
servers for this sort of information, but as of right now you'd need a
locally installed ports tree to find it.  Or just use google to find the
parent project.  Then one of the original tools I pointed out would be able
to find it assuming it's in the ports tree.

--
Adam