Date:      Fri, 4 Jun 2010 11:23:50 +0000
From:      "b. f." <bf1783@googlemail.com>
To:        Paul Macdonald <paul@ifdnrg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: devel/gettext further update

>After portupgrade -rf gettext which seemed to go fine i noticed an issue
>with logrotate.
>
>/usr/local/sbin/logrotate
>/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libintl.so.8" not found, required
>by "libpopt.so.0"
>
>on a clean rebuild:
>
>/usr/bin/ld: warning: libintl.so.8, needed by /usr/local/lib/libpopt.so,
>not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)
>/usr/local/lib/libpopt.so: undefined reference to `libintl_dgettext'
>/usr/local/lib/libpopt.so: undefined reference to
>`libintl_bind_textdomain_codeset'
>/usr/local/lib/libpopt.so: undefined reference to `libintl_textdomain'
>
>(i have /usr/local/lib/libintl.so.8)
>
>What do i do here?

The problem is actually with the dependency devel/popt.  The new
devel/gettext uses libintl.so.9, so it looks like something was not
properly updated.  Update your ports tree, to make sure you have the
latest gettext-related fixes, and try again.  And if I were you, I
would use 'portupgrade -fuvr gettext' to clean out the old shared
libraries and force rebuilds.  It may take a little longer, though.
Assuming that at least part of your first update attempt was
successful, you could avoid another sweeping update by just looking at
ports that are still mistakenly linked to the old gettext libraries,
like libintl.so.8, and then just update those ports and their direct
dependencies, but that could also take time, and requires a little
knowledge.  It is probably just safer to to perform the whole update
again.

b.