Date:      Fri, 17 Apr 1998 08:53:27 -0400
From:      sbabkin@dcn.att.com
To:        mike@smith.net.au, archie@whistle.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Discussion : Using DHCP to obtain configuration.

> ----------
> From: 	Archie Cobbs[SMTP:archie@whistle.com]
>
> The way UNIX piles random configuration information all into /etc
> has always bugged the crap out of me.  Ideally, /etc should go away
> because nothing should be "miscellaneous".. it should all be
> organized.
>
> Hmm.. what if we created the /var/conf hierarchy...

But if it would be done, it must be done very, _very_ cautiously.
Because sVr4 started with idea like this and guess with what
did they ended up ? With things like internet configuration
split up between 3 or 4 subdirectories in different parts of
tree, plus high-level internet directory. And it's a _lot_
of headache to make any configuration changes.

Personally I like much more the HP10 approach: the "permanent" part
of scripts in /sbin/rc*.d, the configuration part for them
in /etc/rc.config.d. It's a lot simpler also.

Serge