Date:      10 May 2002 22:08:21 +0200
From:      Saad Kadhi <bsdguy@docisland.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems updating to 4.5-STABLE

Dear all,

This is my first posting to this venerable list so please bear with me.
Today I set to upgrade a 4.5-RELEASE (installed some time ago from the
official isos available from ftp.freebsd.org) system to 4.5-STABLE. So
basically what I did is RTFM thru the handbook, then I installed cvsup
as indicated and launched it with the following supfile:

*default	host=cvsup.fi.FreeBSD.org
*default	base=/usr
*default	prefix=/usr
*default	release=cvs
*default	tag=RELENG_4
*default	delete use-rel-suffix
src-all

Some time ago, I upgraded a 4.3-RELEASE to 4.3-STABLE so I was expecting
to see 4.5-STABLE (or 4.6-PRERELEASE) after making the world/kernel. But
to my surprise, I got a "FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE-p4". I have quite an
extensive experience with OpenBSD. And in this system there are three
"states": RELEASE, CURRENT and STABLE. Now looking at the security
advisories, I see RELEASE-p9, RELEASE-p2 and STABLE among others. This
is really worrying me (for ex., in the last OpenSSH adv. they say that
it is fixed in REL-p9 and REL-p2 but nothing about REL-p4 and after
fetch-ing the patch and trying to apply it to the src tree, it looked
like it wxas already in there) so it would be great if someone:
1. shows me what I did wrong and how do I fix it to get 4.5-STABLE (well
4.6-PRERELEASE according to newvers.sh right ?)
2. point me to some definitive resource to understand the differences
between RELEASE(-p.)?, and STABLE once and for all

TIA.
--
Saad -- [pgp keyid: 35592A6D http://pgp.mit.edu]
[pgp fingerprint: BF7D D73E 1FCF 4B4F AF63  65EB 34F1 DBBF 3559 2A6D]