Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 1997 20:15:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Drew Derbyshire <ahd@kew.com>
To:        andrew@python.shoal.net.au, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   HOTMAIL.COM, JUNO.COM, etc....

Very few sites, public access or otherwise, like their users to spam
because it makes the entire site look bad and get black listed.
Hotmail.com is not simply a SPAM site (my sister has used it for a
year).

However, the cheaper it is is define a user id on a site, the more
likely it is is that a spammer will use it.  Hotmail and Juno, being
free, makes them easy targets.

Most of the SPAM I've seen recently has been from either large
sites (usally forged) or totally bogus names -- Earthlink, CIS,
AOL, ATT, and Hotmail seem popular for return addresses this month.
This could be because it is hard to ban such legitmate large sites
-- I lose two family family members if I ban ATT, one if I ban
Hotmail, and one if I ban Prodigy.  (And this doesn't count friends,
FreeBSD hackers, etc.)

I actually accept mail only from such large sites when the mail
comes from a relay within the domain, and I also don't let their
relays send me mail from third party sites.  Both rules cut down
on the SPAM, since mismatches indicate forged mail.  (These rules
required a sendmail source hack ... *sigh*)

-ahd-

--
Drew Derbyshire                 Internet:       ahd@kew.com
Kendra Electronic Wonderworks   Telephone:      617-279-9812

"If you feed [UUPC for the Mac] after midnight, and it gets nasty and shreds
 your living room furniture, that's your problem, not mine.  ;-)"
                                                - Dave Platt