Date:      Sun, 16 Dec 2001 01:30:32 +0100
From:      "Alson van der Meulen" <alm@flutnet.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems installing 4.3R/4.4R on a Compaq DeskPro4000

On Sat, Dec 15, 2001 at 06:39:35PM -0500, S. Salman Ahmed wrote:
>     AM> I ran FreeBSD 4.2/4.3/4.4 on a Deskpro 4000 without much
>     AM> problem, except that the BIOS wouldn't boot without keyboard,
>     AM> and the hd's failed as soon as it fell back from DMA to PIO :(
>     AM>
>     AM> The tl0 NIC worked just fine for me. Is a 100mbit extension
>     AM> module installed? Maybe removing it would help. I didn't try
>     AM> with extension module since I didn't have one.
>
> Hmmm, how do I check for the 100mbit extension module ?
I'm not sure if the onboard NIC isn't just 100mbit, without the
extension module.

On the Deskpro 4000 (Pentium 133) I had it's near the UTP/BNC connectors on
the mainboard, a separate extension module, connected with pins to
the mainboard. 15 cm long, 10 cm wide I estimate. It's a few centimeters
above the mainboard.

>     >>  This box has a Texas Instruments ThunderLAN based internal NIC:
>     >>
>     >> Compaq Netelligent 10/100 TX Embedded UTP, 10 T PCI UTP/Coax,
>     >> 10/100 TX UTP
>     AM> Which one is it? I think I had the second one.
>
> Oh right! I think its the first one as the Linux-2.2.x driver detects
> this NIC as:
>
>    Compaq Netelligent 10/100 TX Embedded UTP Rev. 16
>
>     AM> It appears that the kernel thinks the NIC works just fine, but
>     AM> it doesn't transmit any data. Did you look with tcpdump for any
>     AM> traffic sent by that NIC on your network from a different box?
>     AM>
>
> No, I will try that later.

I think you could do that with:
tcpdump -e ether host 00:08:c7:c0:0c:86

>     AM> It could also be a mediatype/speed/duplex problem (please show
>     AM> the output of ifconfig tl0, can be run from the emergency shell
>     AM> thingie), and the speed that your hub/switch report (you should
>     AM> be able to determine at least the speed from LED's).
>     AM>
>
> ifconfig tl0 from vty4 reports:
>
> tl0: flag=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>      inet6 fe80::208:c7ff:fec0:c86%t10 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
>      inet 192.168.1.6 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
>      ether 00:08:c7:c0:0c:86
>      media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
Looks ok to me, if your switch is using 100mbit (I think that's true if
NWAY-negotiation worked as it should.
>      status: active
Looks like it has 100mbit support.
Either it has an extension module, or it's onboard 100mbit (not sure if
these exists in Deskpro 4000 series), or FreeBSD falsely reports it as
100mbit while it's only capable of 10mbit (would be bug in driver, unlikely
since the linux driver also thinks it's 100mbit capable).

You don't see any errors from the kernel tl0 driver?

> this is after DHCP config has failed (installer waited for a while at
> "Scanning for DHCP servers" and eventually prompted for static net
> configuration of tl0).
>
> The switch reports 10/100 full-duplex connectivity when the cable from
It's either 10 or 100mbit, not both.
> the Deskpro4000 is plugged into it. BTW, only the yellow LED lights up
> on the NIC.
Don't know what the yellow led means, check the manual ;)

Is this all (led's on both switch and NIC) the same as with linux?

I assume the negotiation with the switch works OK (haven't seen any
evidence it does not). Do you see any activity on your switch if you
ftp/telnet from that box? Does it appear in the arp table of other
systems? tcpdumping both while sending traffic to it (like ping
192.168.1.6) as sending traffic from it (telnet to gateway) might
provide info too. If you see any packets from that MAC things work at
least partly.

You can see on the led's of your switch if the arp fails or not:
- ARP is using ethernet broadcast, so for all connect ports the traffic
LED should blink
- ping/telnet is only destinated at one MAC, so only the LED of the
source and destination host should blink, unless it's a HUB, that sends
all traffic to anyone, regardless of the destination MAC address.

If you don't see _any_ traffic from that NIC (you should at least some
arp-whohas thingies, even with wrong IP settings), I'd blame either the
tl driver or Compaq for designing it so lame ;)
(one PCI bridge per PCI slot/device, anything wrong with that? :)

Showing a complete dmesg might also help, you might try send-pr, if
you're sure it's a driver problem, and the hw/switch isn't flaky.

>     AM> Does the LED on your hub/switch for that port go on when you
>     AM> plug the cable in?
>
> Yes it does.
>
> BTW, I am unable to run ping from the emergency shell on vty4. If I
> could run ping, I would at least check to see if I could ping:
>
>   - my internal net gateway (192.168.1.1)
>   - @Home's gateway
>   - the @Home nameservers that I am using
I think you either have telnet or ftp, IIRC.

try telnet 192.168.1.1, after you enabled telnetd on your internal gateway.

> PS : How do I get into the Deskpro4000's BIOS settings ? When I boot the
> box, all I see is "Press F12 for Network Service Boot" in the bottom
> right hand corner.
Hm, I didn't see that message, appears that you have a newer one than I
had, or at least expaned with a BOOT ROM (possibly onboard).

You get in the BIOS setup screen by pressing F10 during/short after
memory checks. The BIOS has to be installed on a diagnostic partition on
your HD. If the partition isn't there, you could install the BIOS from
floppies (the diskimages are somewhere on compaq.com, in the support
section), or run it from floppy.

Alson