Date:      Sun, 23 Sep 2001 17:54:05 -0700
From:      Farooq Mela <fmela0@sm.socccd.cc.ca.us>
To:        sos@freebsd.dk
Cc:        FreeBSD-Multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Trouble with DVD Movies

"Søren Schmidt" wrote:
> and disc proberly. You need "something" to do the CSS dance
> with the drive and the media, such code should exist I'm told....

OK, I got that figured out. However, I still get fatal kernel traps
when reading some of the .vobs :-(

(Hand copied because I don't have a serial line to my box)

ata1-slave: too many segments in DMA table

Fatal kernel trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode

Fault virtual address		= 0x3a
Code				= supervisor write, page not present
Instruction pointer		= 0x8:0xc01d110
Stack pointer			= 0x10:0xd29cba48
Frame pointer			= 0x10:0xd29cbae8
Code segment			= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0xb
				  DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
Processor eflags		= interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL=0
Current process			= 234 (css-cat)
Interrupt mask			= bio
Trap number			= 12
panic: page fault

syncing disks: 64 60 60 60 60 60 60 60 60 60 60 60 60 60 60 60 60 60
60 60 60

giving up on 14 buffers
uptime = 8m41s

Here is the ata info:

acd1: DVD-ROM <TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1402> at ata1-slave using PIO4

However it has DMA enabled from /etc/sysctl.conf and hw.atamodes. The
fatal kernel trap takes place as soon as the css-cat (just reads file
off dvd, css descrambles) program gets to the last parts of the .vob
file. I also tried using PIO, it also resulted in a page fault in
kernel, but it just took a lot longer :-) (don't have the panic info
from that one sorry). The interesting thing is that this only happens
from reading the fourth .vob file (each is almost 1GB). I am not sure,
does the 0x3a mean it is trying to access virtual memory at 0x3a in
the kernel?

I cvsupped and rebuilt kernel/world on Sep 4. I can give more info if
it will be helpful, maybe file a PR.

--
farooq <fmela0@sm.socccd.cc.ca.us>