Date:      Fri, 6 Feb 1998 21:29:30 -0500
From:      "Evan Champion" <evanc@synapse.net>
To:        "Robert Watson" <robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Hackers" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: More NFS Problems

>I have seen this behavior on a number of our -stable clients.  The clients
>hang trying to access the file system even after the server comes back up
>again.  The machine eventually has to be rebooted.  So much for a
>stateless system :).  As a result, we are very cautious about rebooting
>our file server during active client usage.  I haven't had this particular
>problem on our -current machines, but they are a little flaky anyway so
>who knows :).

I am always able to recover the system without rebooting by killing the
offending processes and restarting them.  However, each of my systems does
not run a large number of different tasks, so it is relatively easy to guess
what to kill on each system.  On a larger system, it might be just a lot
easier to restart.

Irrespective, I don't think it should be doing that :-)

Evan