Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 1995 21:51:05 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        paul@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, imp@village.org, rsnow@legend.txdirect.net, FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86 and swap

Paul Richards stands accused of saying:
> I've been running into problems. I've got a 16Mb box with 64Mb of
> swap. I use xdm so the server runs permanently. Every few days I
> have to kill X so it frees it memory because it ends up with ALL
> of it. I've had cron jobs die over night because of a lack of
> memory which isn't good at all.

That sounds like a memory leak.  I've grown the S3 server to 30 or 40M
by _really_ punishing it (run 5 copies of xboing one day for a laugh 8),
but I haven't gone much beyond that.

> Sounds like the XFree86 folks are trying to address this problem in their
> server but it's probably time for someone to address the general malloc
> problem.

This is already happening; there are several new mallocs under consideration,
at a guess I'd say you'll see the winer in 2.2

>   Paul Richards, Bluebird Computer Systems. FreeBSD core team member.

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[