Date:      Thu, 17 Nov 2005 10:00:36 -0800
From:      Maksim Yevmenkin <maksim.yevmenkin@savvis.net>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
Cc:        bluetooth <bluetooth@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: No route to host for bluetooth devices

Eric,

[...]

>>> I have a Sony VGN-A170P laptop, which does indeed include a switch.
>>> I verified that the switch was on, and the blue light that indicates
>>> the bluetooth is running was lit.  The switch also controls the
>>> wireless card, which was working fine at the time.  I also tried
>>> switching it off, waiting until the blue light went away, and then
>>> switching it back on, with no change. Only running the bluetooth
>>> script helped.
>>
>> hmm... i'm surprised that switch did not help. on some laptops
>> bluetooth button/switch usually makes internal device to
>> disconnect/connect. in this case devd(8) will get detach/attach event
>> which will trigger 'bluetooth stop/start'. perhaps the switch only
>> controls the light? or may be the radio part of the device, i.e.
>> device will always stay attached, but the radio is powered off? did
>> you try to turn switch off and then bluetooth stop/start? does it give
>> you the same timeout error?
>
> Well, here's more information.  First, it's reproducable every time I
> boot up.  Doing:
> /etc/rc.d/bluetooth start ubt0
> does not fix it by itself, but doing:
> /etc/rc.d/bluetooth stop ubt0
> /etc/rc.d/bluetooth start ubt0
> does.

now, i really puzzled. because device fails on to start at boot time,
/etc/rc.d/bluetooth should have backed out and removed all netgraph
nodes it tried to create (except device node and socket nodes). so i do
not understand why do you need to do 'stop' before 'start'. 'stop'
should really be a noop in this case.

could you please do the following

1) do a fresh boot with bluetooth device turned on

2) after system boots (and bluetooth device failed to start) please run
as root

# ngctl li

> I also tried a fresh boot, then switching the bluetooth off, waiting
> about 20 seconds, and flipping it back on, which *did* in fact work. I
> may not have waited long enough the previous time that failed.

ah, ok. could you please check the /var/log/messages file to see if you
get a message saying ubt0 is detached/attached?

> Oddly enough, I never had a problem before now.  I previously started
> the bluetooth stuff from rc.local.  The only things I have changed are:
> updated to latest -current, removed inet6 from kernel, rebuilt
> world/kernel, switched to new rc.d bluetooth scripts.  I can try
> anything you like.

one thing you could try to do is to comment out ubt0 section in
/etc/devd.conf and go back to old style rc.bluetooth script to see if
you have the same problem. if you do - then its not bluetooth related,
if you dont - then its related to new bluetooth rc.d scripts.

thanks,
max