Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 2004 19:13:25 +0800
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Lewis Thompson <lewiz@fajita.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Vinum, replaced disk -- fsck error.

On Tuesday, 16 March 2004 at  2:00:00 +0000, Lewis Thompson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had a failed disk in my RAID-0 Vinum array.  This was a physical disk
> problem and in an attempt to recover as much data as possible I dd'ed it
> to another disk (dd if=ad3 of=ad1 bs=8192 conv=noerror).

This may or may not work, depending on details you haven't reported.

>   This has mostly gone fine (bar the I/O errors that were to be
> expected) and I can actually start vinum and mount the RAID-0 array
> with no trouble (Vinum reports no errors I can see).

I suppose that depends on where you look :-)  Read on.

> I don't really know how I can test the integrity of files from the
> replaced disk...

A good start would be to read the documentation at
http://www.vinumvm.org/.

>   I attempted to fsck the volume before I mounted it but I first had to
> restore the superblock for the volume (tunefs -A /dev/vinum/data), which
> worked fine.  However (and this is my real problem), fsck_ufs
> /dev/vinum/data gives the following message:
>
> ** /dev/vinum/data
> cannot alloc 4316869296 bytes for inphead
>
> ***** FILE SYSTEM STILL DIRTY *****

Possibly there are log messages that go with this message.  It
indicates to me that there's something seriously wrong in some data
structure, and that fsck is asking for a ridiculous amount of memory
as a result.

Greg