Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 2007 23:11:00 -0500
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Joe Vender <jvender@owensboro.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 6.1 & 6.2 hanging and/or spontaneous rebooting

--RnlQjJ0d97Da+TV1

On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 08:01:18PM -0600, Joe Vender wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 January 2007 19:39, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> <snipped>
> >
> > It does try to detect it; the problem is apparently that your BIOS
> > lies and says "yep, ACPI capable!", but is in fact too buggy to use.
> > Look for a BIOS update if possible.
> >
> > kris
>=20
> I hate to say it, but I spoke to soon or jinxed myself! Right after I sen=
t the=20
> email to the list, my computer locked up tighter than a drum while loadin=
g a=20
> webpage. Argh!
>=20
> Here's my "messages" log. Hope someone can help.

OK, I see you're using pppd - unfortunately this is known to have
serious problems and is essentially unmaintained in FreeBSD.  Use
ppp(8) instead, or if you really don't want to change over then you'll
have to configure debugging as in the developers' handbook chapter on
kernel debugging, and try to determine whether or not pppd is really
to blame.

Kris

--RnlQjJ0d97Da+TV1

--RnlQjJ0d97Da+TV1--