Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 2000 15:54:51 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        abovone@mindspring.com
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: ports

On 15-Aug-00 abovone@mindspring.com wrote:
> Having trouble installing ports..
> I'm tring to install emacs, I did a whereis command to find the directory,
> cd to it (/usr/ports/editors/emacs) ls the dir found the files
>
> Makefile   README.html   files   patches    pkg
>     these are the skeleton file right?
>
> then as the complete FreeBSD book states
> entered a make command at the prompt
> then got this message
>
> emacs-19.34btar.gz doesn't seem to exist on this system
> then it tried to ftp it from a site (I'm not connected yet so that didn't
> work)
> there's no atempt to get it from my cdrom (it is mounted  cd /cdrom)..
> What am I doing Wrong???

Without net use /stand/sysinstall to install prepackaged programs from the CD.
These are *.tgz.

The *tar.gz it tried to fetch is the source for it. If you can get that file,
put it in /usr/ports/distfiles then do a make from the proper directory again
and the unpacking and compilation will begin. Do a 'make install' to actually
install the binaries and man pages etc.

While it may be fun to compile things now and then the prepackaged ports are by
far the easiest to use.

/M

Michael Josefsson, MSEE
mj@isy.liu.se