Date:      Wed, 27 Oct 1999 00:24:06 -0700
From:      "Craig Critchley" <craigc@nwlink.com>
To:        <dg@root.com>
Cc:        "Garrett Wollman" <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, <net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FTP Net Performance

From: David Greenman <dg@root.com>
> >Looking at netstat -i, I see that I'm getting Oerrs of about 15% of
Opkts,
> >but no Ierrs.  There is an inconsequential number of collisions.  Perhaps
> >the error rate is to blame for the problem.  What sorts of things do
these
> >errors represent?
>
>    You shouldn't be getting any output errors - that is definately
indicating
> a problem. Have you tried replacing the cable? What sort of motherboard is
> the card plugged into?

I've tried three or four different cables, all gave about the same
performance, and I still see increasing Oerrs (more like 25%, actually)
every time I FTP from the BSD machine.

The machine is home-assembled based on an Asus P2L97 with a K6-200 and a
Netgear FA310TX PCI netcard.

For historical reasons, I've got a Kingston netcard sitting in the machine
as well; tomorrow I will try rearranging the ip configuration to use that
interface.  (I tried this with and without the Kingston driver linked in the
kernel, but haven't tried switching to use it.)  I should probably pull
extraneous cards as well...  I should have probably exhausted such things
before mailing the experts; as a bsd newbie, I was hoping there was a "oh,
yeah, that's almost always X" type answer that I couldn't find in the faq or
archives.  Sorry if that's a nuisance.

Thanks for the help, and if you think of anything else, please let me know.

                    ...Craig