Date:      Sun, 23 Oct 2011 09:27:25 -0700
From:      Artem Belevich <art@freebsd.org>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 8.1 xl + dual-speed Netgear hub = yoyo

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 8:54 AM, Matthew Seaman
<m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:
> On the other hand, for anything Gb capable nowadays connected to a
> switch autoneg pretty much just works -- em(4), bce(4) are excellent,
> and even re(4) gets this stuff right.

There are still cases of incompatibility. I've got a cheap D-Link GigE
switch that consistently autonegotiates bge(4) devices to 100/FD
unless I force mastership on the NIC end with 'ifconfig bge0 link0'.
em(4) device negotiates with the switch just fine, though.

--Artem